With HiPer-tex® the high performance fibre, 3B delivers a step change in performance for users of glass-reinforced composite materials:
- high strength
- high modulus
- high elongation at break.
Competitive high performance
HiPer-tex® high performance fibre is the result of a groundbreaking development in manufacturing technology that enables high performance fibreglass to be produced at an attractive cost:
- new glass formulation
- specific melting, fiberizing and sizing technologies
- high capacity production platform for scale economy.
Compared with traditional E-glass, HiPer-tex® high performance fibre typically provides:
- + 25% in strength
- + 45% in strain energy
- 10 x in fatigue resistance.
3B operates state-of-the-art manufacturing facilities. HiPer-tex® glass is produced in our eco-friendly glass fibre manufacturing facility in Birkeland (Norway), with a top priority to respect the surrounding environment.
Thanks to an advanced melting technology and a patented formulation that does not rely on adding boron or fluorides, the production of HiPer-tex® occurs at low manufacturing emissions levels.
A composite part leads an extremely challenging life. This calls for the development of new composite materials with exceptional and extremely durable properties. HiPer-tex® fibre is one of 3B’s solutions that address these challenges.
|Epoxy specific||W 2020||Thermosets||Higher modulus||Weaving, Non-crimp fabrics, Prepregs, Filament winding, Pultrusion|
|Polyester, Vinylester, Epoxy||W 3030||Thermosets||Higher modulus||Weaving, Non-crimp fabrics, Prepregs, Filament winding, Pultrusion|
HiPer-tex® fibre properties
|Property||Test Method||Unit||HiPer-tex® fibre||E-CR Glass|
|Chemical Composition||No added Boron /No added Fluorides||–|
|Softening point||DIN ISO 7884-1||°C||925||886-904|
|CLTE (0°C to 300°C)||ASTM D696||10-6 K-1||4.1||5.4-6|
Impregnated HiPer-tex® fibre properties
|Property||Test Method||Unit||HiPer-tex® fibre||E-CR glass|
|Tensile Strength*||ASTM D2343-08||MPa||2700-3200||2000-2600|
|Tensile Modulus*||ASTM D2343-08||GPa||86-89||74-83|
* Representative values of 17μm 2400 tex Advantex® Glass fibre, epoxy resin impregnated and depending on grades
Fatigue mechanical properties
- Comparison of traditional E-CR reinforcement glass and HiPer-tex® fibre
- Epoxy unidirectional fabrics (UD 1150g/m²) laminates
- Tension/tension ratio: 0,1
* Representative values of 17µm 2400 tex glass fibre, epoxy resin impregnated and depending on grades
Courtesy of CRM Liège
Acid corrosion resistance
- Mimicked A14 Acid Environment test of United Nations R110 regulation
- Measurement of residual flexural properties of 100 hour immersed laminates in 30% H2SO4 solution @ RT. 35% strain level.
- HiPer-tex® fibre is suitable for applications in corrosive environment.
|Initial (MPa)||Final (MPa)||Residual (%)||Initial (GPa)||Final (GPa)||Residual (%)|
|E-Glass 77,6% Wf||1497||0||0||50.6||0||0|
|HiPer-tex® Fibre 79% Wf||1791||1659||92||56.5||56.4||99|
Resistance to impact
- V50 comparison of polyester laminates reinforced with E-Glass, S2-Glass® and HiPer-tex® fibre.
- 5.56 mm FSP
- Tested at Banc Officiel d’Epreuve of St Etienne (France)
- S2-Glass® is a register trademark of AGY
|Areal density (kg/m²)||20.0||20.9||20.1|
|V50 (2.5mm) (m/sec)||900||828||655|
HiPer-tex® high performance fibre
HiPer-tex® is 3B's high performance fibre: high strength, high modulus and high elongation at break.